The Grove Arms is a part thatched inn located in the small village of Ludwell between the bustling market town of Shaftesbury with its famous Gold Hill and the historic City of Salisbury. It lies within the Cranborne Chase and West Wiltshire Downs (Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty) The original building dates back to the 16th/17th century and is a listed building with many of its original features and has additions from the early 18th and 19th Century.
There is a courtyard area to the rear with seating and also some seating at the front of the inn and plenty of seating inside including a characterful snug area.
There are six letting rooms, all en-suite, breakfast is included and there is wi-fi throughout the building.
There is ample parking available at the rear and a short walk down to the pub.
The Grove Arms was taken over by new owners in 2023.
The oldest building to survive at Ludwell is the Grove Arms at the bottom of Ludwell Hill, It was called the Talbot or Black Talbot in the period 1579-1811, the Black Dog after 1811, and was renamed the Grove Arms in the years 1880-5. The building contains 16th century work in its north west and south east range which has a southeast entrance front of three bays.
In the earlier 18th century a five-bayed range, in the west corner of which a contemporary fireplace survives, was built to the south west, and in the 19th century a kitchen wing was built to the north west. A friendly society with 50 members may have met there in 1803. Another friendly society, the Hope Society, was registered to meet there in 1836 but had ceased to do so before 1906. Grove house opposite the Grove Arms was a nursing home 1939-66 and a hotel in 1985.
Only 3 miles from Shaftesbury market town and the famous Hovis 'Gold Hill' less than 18 miles from the City of Salisbury, set in the village of Ludwell close to Compton Abbas Airfield. Great walks in and around the area perfect for Ramblers.